The Lap-Band® is inserted laparoscopically using tiny skin incisions. It is placed around the top part of the stomach, essentially creating a small stomach pouch above the band, with a much smaller capacity compared to your original stomach. The band allows you to feel full after eating just a small amount of food. The food slowly passes through the band. There is a tiny port attached to the band, which is placed on the abdominal wall. It's used to inject or remove saline from the band to achieve adequate tightness. Adjustments are done in the office in under a minute.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- 30 minute procedure
- Discharged home after a few hours
- Least invasive of the weight loss procedures, yet can be very effective for many patients.
- Return to work within 3 days.
- Liquid diet starts after surgery, and is slowly progressed to solid diet over few weeks.
- Fully Reversible
- There is no cutting of the stomach or intestine
- No nutrition mal-absorption of any nutrients
APPROXIMATE WEIGHT LOSS
Lap-Band® is the least invasive weight loss surgery that still offers significant weight loss. This procedure is usually offered to patients who need to lose 50-100 lbs.
- Lap-Band is often covered by insurance with minimal or no cost to the patient.
- Self pay packages are available
- Includes Consultation, Preop testing, Surgery fee, Anesthesia fee, Hospital fee, 3 months of follow-ups.