Gastric Plication is a newer operation in the U.S. in which a large portion of the stomach is folded over itself using rows of sutures to create a much smaller functional stomach. It's performed laparoscopically in about an hour. 4-5 tiny skin incisions are used. The stomach is folded inwards and stitched in place, creating it into the size & shape of a banana. It has a much smaller capacity compared to your original stomach, which causes fullness after eating just a small amount of food. Currently this procedure is considered investigational in the US. However, thousands of gastric plication procedures have been performed world wide, and results have shown significant weight loss. It is also a safer option than the gastric sleeve or the gastric bypass. Since there is no cutting of the stomach, and no re-routing of the intestines, the chance of having a leak is extremely low.
Dr. Mehta trained with International Leaders for Gastric Plication, and has modified the procedure over the years to produce optimal results. Dr. Mehta is amongst a handful of surgeons in the US that perform Gastric Plication, and is amongst the most experienced in the country.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- 1 night hospital stay
- Return to work within 4-5 days.
- Liquid diet starts after surgery, and is slowly progressed to solid diet over few weeks.
GASTRIC PLICATION SEEMS TO BE A GOOD FIT FOR
- Those who are not morbidly obese, and may not want or need surgeries such as the Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Bypass.
- Those who have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 or above.
- The stomach is folded inwards, instead of being cut and removed.
- Intestine is left alone, and not worked on at all.
- Much lower chance of a leak compared to Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Bypass, since there is no cutting and stapling at all.
APPROXIMATE WEIGHT LOSS
- Insurances do not cover Gastric Plication
- Self pay package price: $15,900, Includes Consultation, Preop testing, Surgery fee, Anesthesia fee, Hospital fee, 1 overnight hospital stay, and office follow-ups.
INSURANCE VS. SELF PAY
Unfortunately, insurances do not cover gastric plication. You should find it comforting that our fees are amongst the best in Tristate, and we offer the convenience of 0% interest financing using Care Credit® or Alphaeon®.