Gastric Plication is a newer operation in the U.S. in which a large portion of the stomach is folded inwards using rows of sutures to create a much smaller functional stomach the size & shape of a banana. Its smaller capacity causes fullness after eating just a small amount of food, facilitating weight loss. It is also considered a safer option than the gastric sleeve or the gastric bypass. Since there is no cutting of the stomach, and no re-routing of the intestines, the chance of having a leak is extremely low.
Dr. Mehta trained with International Leaders for Gastric Plication, and has modified the procedure over the years to produce optimal results. Dr. Mehta is amongst the few surgeons in the US that perform Gastric Plication, and is amongst the most experienced.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- 1 night hospital stay
- Return to work within 4-5 days.
- Liquid diet starts after surgery, and is slowly progressed to solid diet over few weeks.
GASTRIC PLICATION SEEMS TO BE A GOOD FIT FOR SOME:
- Those who are not morbidly obese, and may not want or need surgeries such as the Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Bypass.
- Those who are not interested in having a Gastric Sleeve or a Gastric Bypass surgery, as they feel it's too invasive for them.
- Those who want a less invasive procedure an do not feel comfortable with having a part of their stomach removed, or part of their intestines re-routed.
- The stomach is folded inwards, instead of being cut and removed.
- Intestine is left alone, and not worked on at all.
- Much lower chance of a leak compared to Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Bypass, since there is no cutting and stapling at all.
APPROXIMATE WEIGHT LOSS
- 40-70 lbs.
- Insurances do not cover Gastric Plication
- Self pay package price: $15,900, Includes Consultation, Preop testing, Surgery fee, Anesthesia fee, Hospital fee,
1 overnight hospital stay, and office follow-ups. Patients can often have the surgery within 2 weeks of the initial consultation.
INSURANCE VS. SELF PAY
Unfortunately, insurances do not cover gastric plication. You should find it comforting that our fees are amongst the best in Tristate, and we offer the convenience of 0% interest financing using Care Credit® or HCS Loans®.
Schedule a one to one consultation with Dr. Mehta. While internet is the easiest and fastest way to gather general information, it's no substitute for a one to one consultation with Dr. Mehta who can take everything about you into account, including: your age, sex, medical & surgical history, medical co-morbidities, overall weight loss goals, expectations from surgery....etc. Processing all this information and relying on experience of thousands of patients and up to date knowledge allows Dr. Mehta to give you sound advice of the best option for YOU, specifically. This is different than going to a pre-designed power-point seminar where everything is generalized for the audience.